Turner Broadcasting Principal Data Architect in Atlanta, Georgia
Posting Job Title:
Principal Data Architect
Time Warner Division:
United States - Georgia - Atlanta
Posting Job Description:
The Turner Story
Turner is a division of WarnerMedia along with our sister companies, HBO and Warner Bros. We are better known as the folks who bring you CNN, HLN, TCM, TNT, tbs, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Turner Sports, truTV and so much more! From cutting-edge breaking news stories, up-to-the-minute sports coverage, and the characters we grew up loving on to the shows we love today, Turner continues to be the gold standard in first class television programming and a demonstrated leader in digital content. We tell the stories the world wants to hear. Won’t you be a part of our story? www.turner.com
See what it’s like to work at Turner! Follow us on Instagram , Twitter and Facebook
The Principal Data Architect provides consultative guidance, support, and mentoring to the Data Architecture and Application Architecture teams, as well as the data and application architects across the enterprise. (S)he is responsible for offering expert design planning with a focus on developing tools and processes to support and enable long-term collection, storage, integration, protection, analytics, and other use of data, and partners with the Managing Data Architect to vet and deliver tools and recommendations to development organizations across the enterprise. The Principal Data Architect (and those supervised) will design and build data-focused solutions and processes, working with the Managing Data Architect and development teams to integrate into current and planned projects. Principal Data Architect performs hands-on systems consulting and design duties above and alongside other Data and Applications Architects, and works with the Managing Data Architect and the VP-Applications Architecture to support the enterprise application division.
- Define and Implement Data Architecture
- Define and communicate elements of architectural vision for data access, protection, and use in the applications division
- Oversee selection, development, implementation, deployment, support, and transition of data storage, catalog, BI, machine learning, and other data processes and services at departmental and enterprise levels- Proactively plan for data contingencies, and design, recommend, implement, and manage changes under the guidance of senior management.
- Recommend long-term data solutions in accordance with an understanding of the methodology, architecture, business needs, and strategic success of the organization.
- Engage other technical subject matter experts across the Turner enterprise to solicit input, feedback, perspective, and (as appropriate) assistance.
- With the Managing Data Architect and the architecture team, research, monitor, evaluate, and publish/teach groups regarding relevant emerging technologies and trends internal and external to the organization on a regular basis
- Oversee and guide the development of cross-departmental utilities and present reports on trends, problems, accomplishments, or other information as appropriate.
- Provide technical leadership to architects, data providers, and data consumers.
- Provide leadership in support of the enterprise data plan and principles, as well as organizational direction and culture
- Mentor, guide, coach, and support individual growth and technical skill across the Data Architecture team
- Facilitate the sharing of knowledge across employees to strengthen capabilities and the organization's ability to respond to client needs
- Conduct information-sharing and/or teaching sessions to facilitate increased awareness of industry trends and upcoming initiatives.
- Provide management oversight to Data Architects.
- Provide leadership in support of organizational direction and culture. Manage employee performance or discipline issues and work with director to recommend compensation, recognition, transfer, promotion, or other personnel decisions. Supplement and Support Applications Architects and Developers.
- Lead and facilitate the development and implementation of data solutions across technology and business areas. Assist management with the selection of a technology solution that is in alignment with enterprise-wide architecture/technology, creation of cost and time estimates, task identification, and sequencing of project events.
- Develop reusable data-related components for developers and provide expert technical guidance and support to use them effectively. Assist project teams in assessing the technology environments and determining changes as necessary to ensure successful implementation of software systems. Work with other technology groups (e.g., server operations, deskside support) to implement changes.
Provide expert technical advice and assistance for multiple projects. Lead design, coding, and problem resolution activities as requested to ensure technical viability. Direct the work of others as requested and perform hands-on coding, testing, support, or other tasks as necessary to ensure success of the deliverables according to user requirement The Essentials
At least seven years demonstrated expertise in data or information systems engineering, with a focus on data analytics, data engineering, and Big Data systems management. Demonstrated leadership with technical professionals.
- Demonstrated advanced understanding of relational databases (e., Oracle or SQL Server)
- Demonstrated advanced experience reading and translating data, process, and business models into technical designs
- Demonstrated working knowledge of industry/business processes, such as HR, marketing, finance, etc.
- BS in Computer Science, Analytics, Operations Research, MIS, or equivalent education/training/experience. Advanced degree and/or certifications preferred
- Expert analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills with complex applications, technologies, and businesses
- Demonstrated proactive customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions
- Meeting facilitation and presentation skills
- Demonstrated team leadership and delegation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manages priorities, and mentor/direct others
Demonstrated teamwork skills Desirable Requirements:
Experience with unstructured and semi-structured data
- Experience with NoSQL, graph, and other non-SQL storage technologies
- Experience in media, news, and/or entertainment industry preferred
- Published in professional magazines, journals, or other publications
- Experience presenting expert technical information to professional groups.
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to wellbeing tools, resources, and freebies
- 2017 Best Company forWorking Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Area of Interest:
Advertising, Cable/Broadcast Television Networks, Games – Development & Publishing, Online Content/Services